HIT terminal “is working promptly towards returning to its normal operational capacity”.
Singapore-listed Hutchison Port Holdings Trust has issued a release saying that now that subcontractors have accepted a 9.8% pay rise at subsidiary Hongkong International Terminals (HIT), the terminal “is working promptly towards returning to its normal operational capacity”. “As at last week, HIT’s operational productivity has returned to between 80 and 90 per cent of its normal level,” HPH Trust claimed. Most of the dockers who went on strike came back to work on May 9, although there were threats to quit by some who are employed by Everbest Port Services. The Everbest workers fear they would be earning less despite the agreed 9.8% pay rise after the contractor said it would no longer pay them extra for meals and pulling mooring ropes.
The future of more than 100 crane operators, who lost their jobs after Global Stevedoring Service closed down, also remains unclear. Many of the operators are continuing their protest at the Cheung Kong Center, owned by Li Ka-shing, who also owns HIT. [09/05/13]
Hutchison and CMA CGM bid for 99-year license for Melbourne's third box terminal
HONG KONG's Hutchison Port Holdings (HPH) and French container line CMA CGM are leading contenders to run Melbourne's third container terminal on a 99-year lease.
Other shortlisted bidders include a consortium led by Australian International Container Terminals with International Container Terminal Services and Anglo Ports while another bidder is Australia-based Qube Holdings.
The A$1.6 billion (US$1.6 billion) one million TEU capacity terminal has attracted expressions of interest from local and international bidders after the tender process launched in October 2012.
abah Ports Sdn Bhd, the port operating subsidiary of Suria Capital Holdings Bhd, will invest RM229mil over the next two years to further improve its port facilities and equipment to better serve the port users and shipping communities in Sabah. The company added that Sabah Ports would increase its container-handling equipment fleet at Sapangar Bay Container Port (SBCP), Sandakan Port and Tawau Port. Source: The Star
Panama Canal authorities expect a 2.4 percent decline in cargo volume crossing the waterway this fiscal year after two major shipping companies rerouted vessels through the Suez Canal, the canal administrator said.
In March, Maersk Line, the world’s largest container shipping company and the Panama Canal’s top customer, announced it would reroute services from Asia to the East Coast of the United States via the Suez Canal.
Though taking 11 days longer, the company says the move saves money as it can nearly double its load on bigger ships.
Adding to the pain, the canal lost out on three potential new services from APL, the container shipping unit of Singapore’s Neptune Orient Lines (NOL).
German Ghost Port "JadeWeserPort" Shows Container Slowdown
The 33,000 containers handled at JadeWeserPort since Germany’s only deepwater docks opened for business in September are a far cry from the annual 2.7 million forecast when state governments embarked on the 10 billion-euro ($13.1 billion) project a decade ago, Bloomberg reports. That’s not deterring policy makers from pressing ahead with the development of the harbor, whose debut coincided with the shipping industry’s worst crisis in decades. The decline has turned it into a ghost port that relies on two weekly services from the operator’s main shareholder, A.P. Moeller-Maersk A/S (MAERSKB), to keep the 400 people that work there in employment. More and source: www.businessweek....
Pelindo II partners with China to develop Batam port for abt. $515 mill.
State port operator Pelindo II, also known as Indonesia Port Corporation (IPC), will at the end of this year start developing the Tanjung Sauh Port on Batam Island in collaboration with its partner, Chinese Merchants Group.
Construction is estimated to cost about Rp 5 trillion (US$515 million) and will be done in several phases.
IPC president director Richard Joost Lino said the Jakarta-headquartered port company and its Chinese partner would collaborate on the construction as well as in the operation of the Batam port.
MOL and PIL to offer new weekly Indian Ocean Island Express Service
Japan's big carrier MOL and Singapore's Pacific International Lines (Pte) Ltd (PIL) recently announced they will jointly offer a new weekly Indian Ocean Island Express Service ("IOX"/"IOI") on June 7 departing Singapore. Both MOL and PIL will deploy two 1,100-TEU ships each on this route, which will call at Singapore, Port Louis, Tamatave, Reunion and back to Singapore.
Nigerian NIMASA lifts blockade for LNG tankers on Bonny Channel after 4 days
The Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA) has lifted a blockade that it imposed on the Bonny channel to prevent LNG tankers from accessing the Nigeria LNG Limited (NLNG) loading bay on Bonny Island. “By this blockade, all Nigerian Liquefied Natural Gas Company vessels operating in the area are neither permitted to leave nor enter the area until all statutory obligations are met,” NIMASA said in a statement on Saturday. The action was brought by NIMASA on Friday (3 May) because of a dispute with NLNG over what NIMASA says are unpaid levies.
Agreement planned to Allow U.S. Military Bunkering at Maldives
A draft agreement between the U.S. and the Republic of Maldives would allow U.S. forces access to ship bunkering facilities, as well as sea ports and other facilities in the Indian Ocean island nation, the Maldives newspaper Minivan News reports. The status of forces agreement (SOFA), which was was said to have been leaked while negotiations are still underway, also authorises the U.S. to "undertake new construction works and make alterations and improvements.” However a spokesperson for the U.S. Embassy in Colombo said there are no plans for a permanent U.S. military presence in Maldives. shipandbunker.com...