Either the USNS "Mercy" or a tug maneuvering it through a narrow channel may have struck the USS Arizona Memorial in Hawaii on May 27, 2015. At about 7:30 Aa.m. the tug was pushing the hospital ship past the memorial near Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam when either the tug or the "Mercy" struck a dock adjacent to the memorial. Initial reports indicated that a tugboat hit the Memorial, but an investigation was underway. White boat passenger traffic onto the memorial has to be suspended as the full extent of damage had yet to be assessed to ensure the safety of visitors. According to a statement from the National Park Service, one of the ships had allided with a dock used to disembark visitors to the memorial and the site will be closed for several days while the Navy and the park service asses the damage. Initial visual assessments showed that the dock was moved about 10 feet toward the Memorial. A small area of concrete was damaged where the dock’s ramp joined the Memorial. The dock’s ramps and railings were also damaged. The site will be closed for several days while the park service and the Navy asses the damage.
Report with photo:
The "Million Trader", which had been reported as sold several times last winter, has finally found a buyer.
The Japanese owner, Nisshin Shipping, only fetched $9.3m for the 11-year-old ship. In March 2015, the vessel was tipped as sold to Modion of Greece for around $10m. This sale was never finalised however. Tanker specialist Avin International, which has a fleet of some 20 tankers,was now tipped as the buyer of the ship. The company also has a four-year-old, slightly smaller bulk carrier in its fleet list. A year ago a sister ship of the "Million Trader" was sold for twice the price.
Three suspicious deaths on a coal ship were to be scrutinised at an inquest on May 28, at a time when police was investigating another death on a vessel en-route to Newcastle. The New South Wales Coroner is investigating two of three deaths on board the "Sage Sagittarius" during a six-week period three years ago. One of the deaths happened in Newcastle. Union officials and company representatives will front the inquiry. The chief cook, Fillipino Cesar Llanto, disappeared overboard from the coal carrier in August 2012 as it approached Australian waters. Two weeks later, Hector Collado was killed while the ship was moored at the Port of Newcastle. The third man, Kosaku Monji, a Japanese superintendent, was crushed to death in a conveyer belt as the "Sage Sagittarius" docked in Japan. The court heard there was conflict on board and some of the crew, including Mr Llanto, were planning to report the captain, Venancio Salas, to authorities for alleged physical assaults and maltreatment.
Mr Llanto was "a big brother figure" for mess hand Jesse Martinez, who was teased over his homosexuality and told police that he had been physically assaulted by Captain Salas and punched in the kidneys. Mr Martinez also reported that, on another occasion, Captain Salas hit him as other crew members tried to take off his clothes. There was strong evidence the intense conflict was continuing and magnified on the day of Mr Llanto's disappearance.
Mr Llanto's wife Nelia told the inquest through an interpreter that she did not believe her husband committed suicide. She said that when she met with other crew members to discuss the circumstances surrounding the death, she found their statements had been corroborated.
Cesar Llanto's friend on the ship, chief engineer Hector Collado, died two weeks later on Sep 15, when the ship docked in the port of Newcastle. The crew called police at 8:15 a.m. to report the 55-year-old had suffered a cardiac arrest in the engine room. Mr Collado had a 20cm laceration to his head. The inquiry was expected to hear evidence that there was nothing in the storeroom that could explain the injury. There have not been any witnesses to the men's deaths, including Kosaku Monji the Japanese Superintendent who was crushed to death by a conveyor belt. Earlier in the inquest, the International Transport Workers Federation's Dean Summers said the flag of convenience system, where ships are registered in foreign countries, makes workers vulnerable.
Repairs aboard the "Phoenix" which is moored at the dock 104 near the Brown Basin in Quebec since May 24 were progressing going well. The bulker broke down near the île d'Orléans, and had to be towed to the wharf. Since then, the 17 crew members have been at work to repair the propulsion problem. The ship was to resume the voyage to Dubai on May 28, if everything went according to plan and Transport Canada deemed it seaworthy.
French report with photo:
Having beem nearly six years in Saint-Nazaire since July 2009, the "Zortürk" (ex-Aspet) will be dismantled. The work on the ship, which lies in dry dock in basin 3, should hopefully start in September. The port authority Port Maritime de Nantes Saint-Nazaire has obtained permission to scrap ships in the Penhoët basin. Before starting work, the APAVE, accredited for diagnosis on the presence of asbestos, has been commissioned to make a detailed survey of the old Hull. Its expertise, currently being finalized, should be available early in June. At the same time, the GPMNSN will launch a tender for this project, whose duration is not yet precisely known. It will actually depend on the quantity of asbestos contained in the ship. It was expected to take two to three months.
French report with photos:
During a cruise on the Rhine, 25 passengers of the "Prinses Christina" suffered a virus infection. Several aid workers, health officials and a hygiene officer boarded the ship in the evening of May 27, 2015, in Boppard, and made sure that the health status of the patients on board was stable. All sick remained on board, because the doctors saw no threat in the further development of the disease. In total, one hundred people were on board the cruise ship.
Only a few hours after the start of the flooding of the smoking cargo hold the work had to be interrupted after one of the three installed hoses broke. The "Neuwerk" had to retreat from the site due to technical reasons. A part of the filter system had to be checked. Rough weather conditions meant that none of the other ships such as the "Nordergrüne", "Mellum" and "Nordic" could take over the role of the "Mellum". On scene were wave heights of three meters and thunder gusts with up to six Beaufort.
A Unified Command consisting of representatives from the Coast Guard, Department of the Interior, Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation, City of Seldovia and the responsible party, formed to respond to a 6,000 gallon diesel fuel discharge into the Gulf of Alaska has completed fuel removal from the damaged tank trailer aboard the "Thor's Hammer" on May 26. Response crews and contractors from Alaska Chadux Corporation removed the 3,000 gallons of diesel fuel remaining in the punctured tank, as well as 28 bags of oily waste collected by the "Thor's Hammer"’s crew. The 6,000 gallons of spilled diesel was no longer recoverable due to weathering and evaporation. A Western Alaska Captain of the Port Order required the "Thor's Hammer" to remain in Seldovia until the vessel was cleaned and determined to be safe for transit to Homer. The vessel was later authorized to proceed to Homer where Coast Guard Marine Safety Detachment Homer personnel are scheduled to conduct a safety examination. The Captain of the Port Order also required the "Thor's Hammer" to remain in Homer until determined safe for commercial operation. The Coast Guard was conducting an investigation into the operations of the vessel.