The US Coast Guard SAR coordinators suspended the search for the missing cruise ship passenger Samantha Broberg, 33, in the Gulf of Mexico on May 15 at 8:14 p.m. She was reported missing from the Cship approximately 200 miles southeast of Galveston on May 13. The Coast Guard's 8th District command center coordinated 20 hours of searching by alternating HC-144 Ocean Sentry airplane crews from Aviation Training Center Mobile, Alabama, and Air Station Corpus Christi, Texas. The crews saturated a 60 by 90 nautical mile area with a combined search area total of more than 4,300 square miles.
U.S. Coast Guard Resumes Investigation Hearings Into El Faro Disaster
TAMPA, Fla., May 16 (Reuters) – U.S. Coast Guard investigators on Monday resumed a probe of last year’s deadly sinking of the El Faro off the Bahamas, beginning two weeks of hearings to examine the cargo ship’s operations, weather forecasts and regulatory oversight.
Captain Eric Bryson, who helped launch the El Faro on its final voyage, told the Coast Guard’s Marine Board of Investigation panel that the ship’s doomed captain had said he planned to “go out and shoot under,” meaning avoid, a storm brewing in the Caribbean.
He was among some two dozen experts set to testify during a second round of hearings on the worst cargo shipping disaster involving a U.S.-flagged vessel in more than three decades.
The 790-foot (241-meter) ship sank off the Bahamas during a hurricane on Oct. 1, two days after leaving Jacksonville before the storm intensified into a hurricane.
“There was nothing out of the ordinary,” said Captain James Fudaker, a docking pilot who also worked with the ship before it departed for Puerto Rico. He testified that he was not aware of equipment deficiencies.
Testimony from a former master of the ship also offered little insight into what went wrong.
“To me, the El Faro was a Cadillac. She rode well,” Captain Eric Axelsson told the panel, adding that he did not consider the vessel vulnerable. Read more at https://gcaptain.com/u-s-coast-guard-resumes-investigation-hearings-into-el-faro-disaster/
The "Rostain" was disabled by an anchor and its chain having got entangled in the rudder on May 15, 2016. The lifeboat "Dagfinn Paust" was called to assist, and in the port of Andenes a diver was sent down to clear the propulsion from the obstruction.
The United Nations Security Council removed the "Distya Ameya" from a U.N. blacklist on May 12, 2016. The tanker was recently prevented from shipping oil for the rival eastern Libyan government after Libya's U.N. mission requested the de-listing. The tanker was added to a list of vessels under sanctions last month after the rival eastern government's parallel oil company attempted to use it to ship a cargo of 650,000 barrels of crude. The U.N. measure requires states to ban the ship from entering any port around the world. Libyan Ambassador Ibrahim Dabbashi told Reuters his mission had submitted an official request this week to the 15-nation council's Libya sanctions committee. There were no objections to the proposed removal of the ship from the U.N. blacklist by the 3 p.m. deadline for members to object because of the cooperation of the flag state and the explanation given on the involvement of the ship in the illegal export. The tanker's operators had no intention of getting involved in an improper transaction and had lacked proper information.
The "Tocalisto", having 24 passengers on board, allided with the docked pleasure boats "Cyclades Sun" and "Astarte" in the port of Parika upon Paros Island in the afternoon of May 15, 2016. The unmanned yachts suffered serious damages, while the ferry only suffered slight damages. Debris was floating in the port basin after the accident and had to be recovered. The ferry, being used for day cruises, had been unable to stop in time while manoevering in port and hit the moored yachts with its port side.
Greek report with photos: