Kolkata Port (KoPT) has been adjudged ‘Major Port of the Year’ amongst 12 major ports for 2014-15.
The award was in recognition of its impressive growth rate in volumes, optimising capacity utilisation, growth in output per berth, and customer satisfaction, KoPT said in a release.
KoPT consists of the Kolkata Dock System and the Haldia Dock Complex.
According to the port trust release, KoPT handled 16.834 mt of traffic in the April to July period of 2015 against 13.698 mt handled in April-July 2014, thereby indicating a growth of 23 per cent.
This came against Indian major ports together experiencing a growth of 5.8 per cent during this period.
Haldia Dock Complex handled 11.636 mt of traffic in April-July 2015 recording a significant growth of 26.64 per cent as against 9.188 mt handled in the same period last year.
During the same period, Kolkata Dock System (KDS) handled 5.198 mt of traffic, a growth of 15.25 per cent over the 4.51 mt handled in April-July period.
Up to now, Sweden has had just one direct container service to the Far East – the weekly service operated from Gothenburg by MSC and Maersk Line. Tomorrow a second service will be added. The international G6 Alliance has invested heavily in a direct freight service between Sweden and Asia. The new service is definitely in keeping with the times. APM Terminals is well prepared following a series of new investments and an upgraded terminal, making it possible to receive ships and volumes of this size. Service operated by six shipping companies - The G6 Alliance comprises the Singapore-based company APL, the Korean company Hyundai, the Japanese companies MOL and NYK, the German company Hapag Lloyd and the Hong Kong-based company OOCL. The last time the G6 Alliance operated out of Gothenburg was in 2012.
Explosion at Petrobras Bunker Fuel Plant Kills Two
RIO DE JANEIRO, Aug 26 (Reuters) – A heating unit at a Petrobras depot in Brazil used to treat fuel for ocean-going ships exploded on Wednesday, killing two workers, the state-run oil company said in a statement.
The blast and resulting fire broke out about 10 a.m. (1300 GMT) while workers were doing planned maintenance on the heating unit, said the press office of BR Distribuidora SA, the fuels distribution unit of Petroleo Brasileiro SA, as Petrobras is formally known.
The heating unit is used to raise the temperature and reduce the viscosity of bunker fuel, a heavy, sludgy refined petroleum product similar to heating oil. Heating the fuel makes it easier to load aboard ships.
The fire at the naval-fuels depot at the Port of Tubarão near Vitória, Brazil, was brought under control by on-site firefighters and presents no immediate risk to anyone in the vicinity, BR Distribuidora said in a statement. The names of the dead workers were not immediately available, it said.
The fire is the third fatal accident this year at facilities owned by or operated on behalf of Petrobras in Brazil’s Espirito Santo state, the country’s second-highest oil and natural gas producer after neighbor Rio de Janeiro. Combined, the accidents have killed 13 and injured at least 26. gcaptain.com/expl...
Typhoon Goni halts bunkering operations at South Korea’s southern ports
Bunkering activities at southern ports in South Korea have come to a standstill due to an approaching typhoon, with traders saying Tuesday that Ulsan, Onsan, Busan and Yosu ports have closed.
Busan and Yosu ports were understood to have been closed late Monday and be scheduled to reopen Wednesday.
Onsan was also heard to have closed Monday night, but it was unclear when it would reopen, with traders saying authorities would assess the conditions later in the day.
It could not be ascertained Tuesday when Ulsan was closed or when it would reopen, although sources said it may follow the same schedule as Onsan. www.platts.com/la...
Turkey’s Albayrak Group to operate Somali’s Mogadishu Port
A signing ceremony was held for the transfer of operations of Mogadishu International Port, located in Somali’s capital Mogadishu, to Turkey’s Albayrak Group, which was attended by Somali Ports Minister Abdurrahman Muallim and Deputy Minister Cemal Buru, representatives from the Albayrak Group and officials from the Turkish Embassy in Mogadishu.
Delivering a speech at the ceremony, Minister Muallim said: “The Somali government has officially transferred the operating duty of the port to the Albayrak Group today. We hope the port will develop and reach the standards of world ports in this process.” Stating that employees currently working in the port will continue to work, Muallim noted that the Albayrak Group would contribute to Somali’s economic development. Albayrak Group Chairman Ahmet Albayrak said that they aimed to attract international trade networks to Somali by supporting Mogadishu Port with modern equipment. He also emphasized that 55 percent of the revenue earned from the port would be delivered to the Somali Treasury and the rest would be allocated to development of port services. No further details were shared about the agreement and profit sharing.
The Port of Mogadishu was closed in 1991 after the central government fell, and it was re-opened in 1992 by the United Nations Peacekeeping Force, which was sent to the region due to the ongoing civil war. The port, which was closed again in 1995 after the UN Peacekeeping Force left the country, was re-opened in 2006 by the Islamic Courts Union that controls south Somali.
Source: Daily Sabah
Abengoa, the company that applies innovative technology solutions for sustainability in the energy and environment sectors, has been awarded the construction of the new port terminal located in Capurro, Montevideo.
This project aims at having an exclusive area for the transfer and re-embarkation of fishery products to major international markets and in turn relieve the central docks of the port, seen the increasing activity.
Abengoa, with a 50% stake in the winning consortium, will be responsible for drawing up the final design and construction of approximately 1,000 meters of quays for industrial fishing vessels, with the corresponding protection, berthing and defense works. Also, it will fill an area of 2.5 hectares, and will carry out the paving, drainage, power distribution of drinking water and fuel, as well as the dredging of the basin and its final location against the promenade, on an area up to 20 hectares. In this latter work, stands out the use of geocontainer technology.
The engineering works are expected to begin in the fourth quarter of 2015, with a deadline of nine months for the drafting and 30 months for its execution. Direct work for 140 people is foreseen.
The implementation of this project is aligned with the company’s diversification strategy and reaffirms Abengoa’s leadership in the Uruguayan market, where it has been participating for 35 years in major projects in the country. The company’s experience in the execution of major infrastructure projects stands out.
Cyprus: Minister attempts to avert further port strike
Just the threat of a strike can disturb Cyprus’ economy, Communication and Works Minister Marios Demetriades warned Cyprus Ports Authority (CPA) employees unions on Monday as he attempted to avert the 48-hour strike at the Limassol port announced for August 27 and 28.
He met with union representatives who are threatening to strike in protest over what they say is the lack of progress in talks with the government over a voluntary retirement scheme.
The government’s position is that CPA employees have no reason to strike as they have been given the option of voluntary retirement or transferring to the civil service on the same salary and benefits once the ports are privatised. The government has also promised to try and have some of them rehired by whatever private company eventually manages the port.
At the meeting, Demetriades gave the union representatives in writing all that has been discussed and agreed by the two sides and asked them to submit their comments so that the final text is presented to the cabinet. www.hellenicshipp...
Mariners are advised by GAC to take note of the revised navigation depths at Cairns, as follows:
Design depth: 8.3 metres
Actual depth: 7.8 metres
No other changes have been noted with regards to the navigational depths of the harbour and berths.
A number of severe weather warnings had been issued by the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) for the Illawarra Coast, and the Port Kembla Harbour Master on Aug. 25 has directed that Port Kembla be closed, GAC reports.
Boarding operations, ship handling and tug operations have become extremely hazardous due to high winds and seas in (and at the entrance / approaches to) the port.
It is very likely that the port will remain closed until 25 August 2015 evening (local time) or possibly through the next day, although the forecasts are a little hard to interpret due to the localised nature of the weather systems.
Based upon the forecasts issued by BOM, the Harbour Master had directed all vessels to clear the anchorage on Sunday evening (local time) and vessels have been told to remain more than 12nm from the Coast until further notice. This includes the vessels that were at anchor in the Northern Illawarra but not destined for Port Kembla.
Recent funding announcements from the federal and provincial governments and Port Saint John (New Brunswick, Canada) will include a major harbor deepening project. The seven-year $205 million project, which is a 3-way funding partnership, involves major capital work at the Port’s West Side cargo handling piers and facilities but will also include capital dredging of the main channel.