Another major shipper appears poised to leave the Port of Portland. The German carrier Hapag-Lloyd has stopped scheduling trips into the city. Hapag-Lloyd's vessel schedule doesn't show any Portland calls in the near future. ICTSI operates the terminal through which shipments occur. The move follows the February announcement that West Coast ports had reached an agreement with unions to serve shipping terminals. Hanjin also confirmed it will cease serving Portland, a major blow for the port. The German carrier was Portland's direct connection to midsized companies trading with Europe.
Indian Oil, Bharat Petroleum and Hindustan Petroleum are studying the possibility of bringing oil products in oil tankers to Vizhinjam port and distributing them.
Thiruvananthapuram: Three major oil companies in the country have shown interest on the possibility of bringing oil products in ships to Vizhinjam. This along with the Union shipping ministry sending a file to the prime minister’s office recommending exemption in cabotage law for the port is making things look up for the Vizhinjam port.
Following this, representatives of Adani Group and Srei-OHL consortium, which had taken part in the Vizhinjam tender, visited the port site again. Chief minister Oommen Chandy has called a meeting with the oil companies and Rail Vikas Nigam Limited on the seventh.
Indian Oil, Bharat Petroleum and Hindustan Petroleum are studying the possibility of bringing oil products in oil tankers to Vizhinjam port and distributing them. At present, petrol and diesel are brought via road and supplied to the southern districts of Kerala and Tamil Nadu such as Kanyakumari. Bringing oil products in ships is being considered because transporting them in railway wagons was stopped after the storage facility near Kochuveli railway station was abandoned. Another reason is the difficulty in transporting oil products via road in Kerala, where highways have not been developed.
But, huge facilities will have to be built for oil companies to store these products. Requests have been made to procure land for this purpose. If the government acquires land, oil companies will pay for it. The only condition is that there should be a railway line from Vizhinjam port. At least 50 acres will be needed for it. It is advantageous to investors who are planning to build the port on BOT basis that Vizhinjam, without much exports or imports, could get such a business.
Investors have also considered the fact that there is agreement on Vizhinjam project in Kerala among political parties. But bunkering facility for oil tankers should be part of the project. It also needs rail connectivity. Source: Manorama
The military operation Resolute Storm currently taking place in Yemen has not affected traffic in Suez Canal, according to a statement released on Friday by Mahmoud Rizk, director of the department of planning at the Suez Canal Authority.
“Since the military operation in Yemen was launched last week, revenues from the Suez Canal, along with marine traffic, has been normal compared to the same period last year,” Rizk was quoted by the state-run Al Ahram Wednesday.
The statement came during a visit of delegations of Arab media outlets and newspapers to the New Suez Canal project Wednesday.
After Saudi-led military operations against Houthi fighters in Yemen were launched on March 25, there were concerns that the unrest could impact the Bab al-Mandeb Strait, an important trade route that links the Red Sea through the Gulf of Aden.
In his statement, Rizk said that “Weeks before the launch of the military operation, the Saudi and Egyptian forces carried out joint military maneuvers to secure the strategic strait in anticipation of the potential escalation of conflict in the area.”
After the new Suez Canal Development Project is achieved, ships of a draft reaching up to 66 feet will be able to cross the canal, said Rizk adding that the new project is expected to increase the revenue of the canal up to $17 billion a year.
Fuel Storage Tank Fire Near Brazil’s Santos Port Enters 4th Day
April 5 (Reuters) – A fire at a fuel storage facility near Brazil’s largest port Santos entered its fourth day on Sunday as 110 firefighters worked to stop the flames from spreading further, the local fire department said.
Six fuel tanks run by Ultracargo, owned by Brazil’s Grupo Ultra, were hit since the blaze started on Thursday morning, sending a column of thick black smoke into the air. Two of them were still burning late on Sunday, the fire department and Ultracargo said.
Firefighters said there was little they could do to extinguish the flames before most of the fuel was consumed. Instead, they were focusing on dousing nearby tanks to keep the fire from spreading.
Traffic was diverted around the site of the blaze, blocking one of the roads to the port.
Trucks carrying soybeans and other commodities were still able to deliver their goods via a second entrance, a spokeswoman for the Santos port said. She added that only two of the port’s docks were out of service due to the fire, while the other 53 were operating normally. gcaptain.com/sant...
Port of Oakland: Vessel backlog is over but bunching may continue
The Port of Oakland said Thursday, April 2, the vessel backlog that contributed to congestion is over, although vessels may occasionally bunch up at the Northern California port as Los Angeles-Long Beach works to relieve the vessel backlog that is expected to remain in Southern California for at least the coming month.
DP World on Thursday, April 2 announced it is buying Maher Terminal’s Fairview Container Terminal in Prince Rupert, British Colombia, from Germany’s Deutsche Bank, for C$580 million ($457 million), positioning the Dubai terminal operator at one of the fastest growing gateways for Asia-North America trade.
Fuel Storage Tanks on Fire Near Port of Santos, Brazil
April 2 (Reuters) – Eighty firefighters were battling a fire at a fuel tank storage facility run by Ultracargo near Brazil’s port of Santos, Latin America’s largest, the local fire service said on Thursday.
The company said there had been no victims and the area had been evacuated. It was too early to say what had caused the fire, which was limited to four tanks and was now contained, it added in a statement.
Television footage showed large plumes of black smoke and fireballs coming from the site, near facilities run by Norway’s Stolt-Nielsen Ltd and Transpetro, a subsidiary of state-run oil company Petrobras.
Transpetro said it had temporarily suspended operations and evacuated its personnel following instructions from the fire service, but that there was no risk to its facility. Stolt-Nielsen was not immediately available for comment.
The fire started at around 10 a.m. local time (1300 GMT), the fire service said on Twitter, adding that 22 fire trucks and one boat were involved in trying to control it.
The fire will take “a while” to put out, a fire official told local Globo TV. He added that so far they had focused on wetting down nearby tanks to stop the fire from spreading further.
The port of Santos said it had moved five ships docked at a nearby terminal due to the fire. gcaptain.com/fuel...
Loading at the Caryo Arcas Terminal is suspended until further notice, following a fire on at the Abkatun Permanente production platform in Mexico's Gulf of Campeche. At least four people are reported to have died and up to 45 were injured when a fire broke early on Wednesday, sparking the evacuation of around 300 workers.
Loading underway at the terminal was completed after there was found to be sufficient product in undamaged lines. However, once completed, loading was again suspended.
Big oil tanker backlog builds at Iraq’s Basra port after bad weather
A backlog of over 30 oil tankers has built up outside the Iraqi port of Basra and shippers face lengthy delays of up to three weeks to load oil because of bad weather and possible oil quality issues, shipping industry sources said.