The Senegalese Maritime Rescue launcheed an SAR operation to locate the three missing crew members of the "Senefand 1", 172 gt (IMO: 9034262), which sank on Feb 11, 2017, while it was fishing south of Dakar. One of them was the master José Vicente Pazos Martinez, a native of the province Pontevedra Galicia, while the other two were Senegalese. The remaining eight crew members of the vessel have been rescued. After the communication with the "Senefand 1" got lost, Senegal's Maritime Rescue raised alarm to locate the eleven crew members of the vessel. A patrol boat of the Civil Guard of Dakar, air assets contracted by the ship owner and the "Senefand 2", also of the company Profand and was sailing 75 miles north of the position, joined the search. The eight rescued were taken to Dhaka for a medical checkup. Among them were a Galician, a Cape Verdean, a citizen of Guineau-Bissau and five Senegalese. They testified that the ship sank within a few minutes while the catch was hoisted aboard.
The ship passed a technical review in Vigo in October 2016 and had all necessary certificates as well as reinforced security equipment.
A crew member of the "Maranello" suffered hand injuries on Feb 12, 2017, in the English Channel. The 53-year-old chief engineer was injured about 100 km northwest of the island of Batz. A helicopter was deployed and transported the victim for treatment to an English hospital.
APL Austria, currently on fire east of the deep-water Port of Ngqura - Crew evacuated
Details are still sketchy, but a container ship, the APL Austria, is currently on fire east of the deep-water Port of Ngqura, which is adjacent to the Coega Industrial Development Zone (IDZ), outside Port Elizabeth.
Two tugboats have so far been deployed and authorities are working to extinguish the fire.
The National Sea Rescue Institution (NSRI) said that it assited in the evacuation of four non-essential crew members from the burning vessel early in the morning when the fire first started.
It is not yet clear how the fire might have started and the extend of the damage to the vessel.
More information to follow as the situation continues. www.rnews.co.za/a...
Investigators are bound for Timaru's port following a collision between a cruise ship and a cement carrier, even as the cruise ship's owner refused to confirm details about the incident.
When contacted on Monday, United States-based cruise ship company Seabourn refused to say if it would carry out an internal investigation into the incident.
The Seabourn Encore collided with the Milburn Carrier II, causing damage to the hull of the cement carrier, after the ship broke its moorings on Sunday afternoon. Both the Transport Accident Investigation Commission (TAIC) and Timaru's PrimePort have confirmed they will carry out investigations into the incident.
On Monday evening, The TAIC said two investigators had completed interviews on board the cruise ship.
Captain Martin Harper, the investigator in charge, said the ship's crew were cooperative and "the investigation team has come away with some useful information". www.stuff.co.nz/t...
Cargo ship with 23 Chinese sailors on board detained in India for over a month
A cargo ship from Jiangsu province with 23 Chinese crew members on board has been detained at India's Haldia port for more than a month.
The ship set off from Nantong, east China in July last year, unloaded at Haldia port in December, and has been detained since then.
The freighter "Union Demeter" is owned by Nanjing Tranvast Holdings Limited and all crew members are from Nanjing Yuanteng shipping company.
Captain Dai Xiaosong contacted Jiangsu News Radio and asked for help.
Dai said other boats owned by Tranvast didn't pay refuelling expenses, thus the "Union Demeter" was detained by order of a court in Bombay. In the same month when "Union Demeter" unloaded, the ship owner declared bankruptcy.
Sailors said they haven't been paid for five months and the total unpaid wages reached 1.5 million yuan, or 218,000 US dollars. www.ecns.cn/2017/...