In the night of May 7 a salvage team from New Zealand arrived in Suva to assess the "Southern Phoenix". The Cruz Hildings Ltd. activated tugs and barges to collect about 20 containers floating in the harbour and engaged divers to seal the vents. The ship had issued a distress call on May 6 at 1.30 a.m. after it started to list to port following cargo operations. The FPCL towed it away from the south end of the Princes Wharf, and it sank in pos. 18.08* S 178* 25.28 E 200 meters away from the Princes Wharf in 10-15 meters water depth. All floating cargo was confined to the South end. Divers from the Dive Centre Fiji and the Fijji Navy continued their asssessments. In the afternoon a minor oil seepage from the hhydraulics and diesel fuels on board was remarked.
Report with photo:
On May 7, 2017, at 4.15 p.m. the HM Coastguard Falmouth, tasked the All-weather Lifeboat "Ivan Ellen" of the RNLI Penlee to assist the "Billy Rowney" which had suffered a fouled propeller. In fine weather conditions, with a slight easterly wind and calm sea, the Penlee lifeboat volunteers were swiftly on scene, one mile south-east of Newlyn, where they quickly took over the tow from another Newlyn beam trawler, the "Lisa Jacqueline" and made their way back to Newlyn.
Due to the overall size and weight of the trawler, the Penlee Inshore lifeboat "Mollie and Ivor Dent" was also launched to help bring it safely through the gaps and into Newlyn Harbour. The "Billy Rowney" was rafted alongside the "Ivan Ellen" and both lifeboats worked together to manoeuvre the vessel into port. Despite the challenging task the trawler was safely berthed alongside in Newlyn Harbour.
Both lifeboats returned to station at 5.15 p.m. where they were made ready for their next service.
Report with photos:
The "Uruguay Reefer” which suffered a serious intake of water on May 5 while sailing with a cargo of frozen squid and krill in the southwest Atlantic and decided in emergency to head for was on his way to Puerto Argentino, Falkland Islands, was abandoned on May 7 following the rescue of its crew. During the past 48 hours, hampered by the rough weather, the crew was unable to stop the water ingress despite their most intensive efforts. Although the exact cause of water ingress remains unknown, it was the Master's belief that the vessel was damaged after hitting an unidentified floating ice formation. Two other vessels managed by affiliated companies were redirected towards the distressed vessel to render any assistance possible. Mooring operations with the escort vessels were hindered by the adverse weather prevailing in the area. On May 6 at 8 a.m. , the situation worsened when the holds 1 and 3 were flooded. The submersible pumps used to control the situation were insufficient because, in addition, the engines lost propulsion. At 1.08 a.m. on May 7, the ship began to be evacuated by the "Taganrogskiy Zaliv", while it was still 360 kilometers southeast of the Falkland Islands.
The abandoned reefer remained adrift, down by the bow, and was followed closely by the "Frío Las Palmas", whose mission is to verify the exact site of its sinking. The Naval Hydrography Service issued a navigational warning.
Reports with photos and video:
The "Costa Pacifica" suffered a technical problem on May 5, 2017, which forced the ship to stay at the cruise terminal of Savona longer than expected. The ship with 3000 passengers on board had arrived in Savona in the morning of May 7 and due to sail to Civitavecchia at 5 p.m. with an arrival the next morning. But the failure forced the "Costa Pacifica" to extend its stay in Savona for about 24 hours, and the call at Civitavecchia was therefore canceled and passengers leaving Lazio were transferred to Savona, where they stayed at the hotel in the night. The ship left the port on May 7 at 9 p.m. and berthed in Marseille in the morning of May 8.
While the "Monte Da Luz" berthed in the port of Málaga on May 7, the same day the salvage of the production platform "Agronauta" ((IMO-No.: 0057048), which had parted from the tug and stranded on the coast of Benalmádena on April 28, have begun in the morning by the company that owns the barge, Ferrovial, and with the advice and surveillance with the advice and surveillance of the Maritime Captaincy and Maritime Rescue.
They brought in powerful tug of 240 tons pulling force. They planned to take advantage of the high tide at 2 p.m. to refloat the structure. The next phase would be to tow the platform one mile offshore for inspection by a group of divers who will determine its status. If it was in good condition it would be taken to Cadiz, otherwise it would have to look for a nearby port, predictably Málaga, for repairs.
Spanish report with video: