The number of persons affected by norovirus on the "Explorer of the Seas" has increased to a total of 611 people, 564 passengers and 47 crew members. The company Royal Caribbean Line has therefore decided to cancel the rest of the cruise and return to New Jersey two days ahead of schedule. The extra time was to be spent to disinfect the ship even more carefully. A planned stop in Haiti on Jan 25 was thus canceled, and the "Explorer of the Seas" sailed directly to San Juan in Puerto Rico, where it underwent extensive disinfection. Since then the number of patients, however, has more than doubled from 303 to now 611. Some of those who were first hit were meanwhile recovering. The outbreak was believed to be due to norovirus. However, it ´was not confirmed until the results of the samples taken were ready which was expected to be the case in the middle of this week. There were 3,050 passengers and 1,165 crew members on board the "Explorer of the Seas", which was on a 10 day cruise from the Cape Liberty Cruise Port, New Jersey, which started on Jan 21 with planned stops at Labadee, Haiti, San Juan, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas and Philipsburg.
(Oil And Chemical Tanker > Crude Oil Tanker)
Angolan Navy stated tanker was not hijacked, Dynacom contradicted
The Greek shipping company Dynacom on Jan 26 stated that it has re-established contact with the "Kerala", which was presumed to be hijacked off Angola. In fact a large amount of cargo was stolen in a ship-to-ship operation. A tug had contacted the tanker in Angolan waters and then led it to Nigeria. The tug was a replica of one involved in a pirate attack off Gabon in 2013. The hijacking was suspected to have been arranged by the crew which destroyed the communication media. It seemed likely sure that the crew acted itself or in cooperation with Nigerian pirates or other criminals following a prearranged plan. Contact with the ship was lost on Jan 18 while the ship was under contract with the Angolan state oil company Sonangol. However, the Dynacom was contradicting the Angolan navy's denial that an assault took place. They insisted that pirates hijacked the vessel offshore Angola. It did not provide any further details on the attack or the ship's current location. Captain Augusto Alfredo, spokesman for the Angolan navy, said the ship had been located in Nigeria and that reports of a hijacking were false. He declined to comment on how the navy had established the behaviour of the "Kerala"'s crew, saying only that other authorities may provide further details later. He also would not be drawn on the crew's possible motivation but said the ship was due to finish a time-charter contract for the Angolan state oil firm Sonangol on Feb 12. The "Kerala" had 27 crew, all of them Indian or Filipino. Dynacom confirmed that the pirates left the vessel and the crew has not been injured. The company was investigating the incident in cooperation with the relevant authorities.
The ship did not have security guards on board, as it was in an area that until now has been regarded as safe. Two years ago, Somali pirates hijacked the company's tanker "Smyrni" which was subsequently released after a ransom was paid.
On Jan 26, 2014, a fire broke out aboard inside a container loaded with charcoal aboard the "Santa Rosa" off the German coast in the Northsea. The box was stored on the upper deck of the vessel which had a crew of 24 from Poland , Ethiopia, Ukraine, the United Kingdom and the Republic of Kiribati as well as two passengers from Germany and Great Britain. The ship had left the Northfleet Hope Container Terminal in Tilbury on Jan 25 around 6 a.m. The fire was put out by the crew. The traffic control center (VTS) Cuxhaven informed the Casualty Command in Cuxhaven at 5:30 a.m. which sent a fire fighting unit consisting of four men as a precaution which was taken to the container ship on board the anti pollution vessel "Neuwerk". After it became known that two more container layers were stored above the charcoal container the Casualty Command was requested to take over the operational control at 11 a.m. A pilot boat transferred the firefighters on the "Santa Rosa" to explore the situation. The exploration with thermal cameras revealed that the charcoal loaded container was completely flooded after having been penetrated with a fire extinguishing lance, so it was assumed that the fire was out. The "Santa Rosa" continued to Hamburg with the fire fighting unit remaining on board as a fire watch. The ship was escorted by the "Neuwerk" on its way and docked at the Athabasky Quay in Hamburg at 8 p.m. The operational control was transferred to the responsible authorities in Hamburg then. Local fire fighters controlled the cargo for remaining hotspots once the ship was moored.
German reports with photos and video:
One person died and nine crewmen were evacuated from the "Huan Yu 1" which had a gas leak off the coast of Port Elizabeth. The nine patients were medically evaluated and treated by the EMS paramedics and were in stable condition. They had suffered refrigeration gas inhalation. The evacuation operation was mounted on Jan 25, 2014, to the refrigeration vessel which was en-route from Singapore to the Falkland islands. The vessel was met three nautical miles offshore and the body of the crew member who had died was handed to forensic pathology services. The operation was conducted by the NSRI, the ports authority, police and Eastern Cape health services. Police boarded the ship to investigate the leak and the cause of the death and the injuries. Port health officials also evaluated the safety of the ship.