27 French Tourists Rescued in Egypt after Ship Hits Coral Reef
CAIRO – Egyptian authorities rescued 27 French tourists and 10 Egyptian crew members on Thursday morning after their boat ran aground on a coral reef off the coast of the Red Sea city of Marsa Alam in southern Egypt.
The 27 French tourists were aboard the ship sailing from the town of Porto Ghaleb to Marsa Alam on a diving excursion, when the vessel hit a coral reef in Abu Diab area, causing damage to the boat, the Egyptian Interior Ministry said in a statement.
The crew sent a distress alert and all of the tourists and the 10 crew members were rescued, according to the state-run MENA news agency, which cited a security official who confirmed that no one was harmed and everyone returned safely to their residences at the port in Safaga.
The spot in the Red Sea where the accident took place is famous for its coral reefs and year-long warm waters, which attract many diving enthusiasts.
The Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) announced yesterday that five groups are eligible to bid for the P18.99 billion Davao-Sasa Port Modernization Project under the public-private partnership (PPP) program.
In a bid bulletin, Transport Undersecretary Jose Perpetuo Lotilla said groups that are qualified to bid for the project are Asian Terminals Inc. – DP World FZE Consortium; Bollore Africa Logistics; International Container Terminal Services Inc.; Portek International Pte. Ltd. – National Marine Corp. Consortium with contractor Toyo Construction Co. Ltd.; and San Miguel Holdings Corp. – APM Terminals Management (Singapore) Pte Ltd. Consortium with contractors Hyundai Development Co. and Hanjin Heavy Industries & Construction Co. Ltd.
The project involves the development of the existing Davao-Sasa Port into a modern international-standard container terminal that will improve trade access to Mindanao and the Philippines.
The winning bidder of the project will finance the construction and modernization of the existing port. It will likewise be responsible for the operations and maintenance of the facility.
The Corpus Christi Hispanic Chamber Of Commerce hosted the “State of the Port” today, announcing one major project. Although the state of our port is great, city and state leaders are working toward a major project, the widening and deepening of our ship channel.
“Some of the tankers that come in now, they’re so heavily loaded, that they have to ‘lighter,’” said Hawley. “Take off part of their product, before they can come into the channel.”
Hawley says this expansion is important, because those ships are only getting larger.
Right now, our ship channel is 45 feet deep.
The project would expand it to 52 feet and widen it to 530 feet.
By doing this, our channel would be able to accommodate most of the world’s shipping fleet.
“It’s critical,” Hawley said. “Not only for Texas, but also for economy of the United States.”
The project will cost around $300,000,000.
China set to build floating oil terminal for Bangladesh
Bangladesh is set to sign a contract with a Chinese company next month to establish the country’s first floating terminal in the Bay of Bengal to unload imported fuel oil, officials said yesterday.
Energy division officials said a state-owned Chinese company is to obtain the work order from the Bangladesh government to install the floating terminal – single point mooring (SPM) – in the sea near Maheshkhali Island.
The energy division requested the planning commission (PC) last week to approve the project worth 55.06bn taka
State minister for power, energy and mineral resources Nasrul Hamid wrote a letter to planning minister AHM Mustafa Kamal to approve the project urgently, said a senior energy division official.
“The Chinese PM is to visit Bangladesh sometime in September. During his visit, an agreement for building of the SPM is likely to be signed. So we need approval of the project before his visit to Dhaka,” the official told newsmen.
Bidders selected for privatisation of Limassol port
There has been great interest expressed in the future of Limassol port, on the west coast of Cyprus.
According to the Cyprus News Agency, a total of 35 bidders have been initially selected in the context of the tender launched for the privatisation of the port.
Alecos Michaelides, Chairman of the Cyprus Ports Authority and Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Transport, which is the contracting Authority, said that 12 economic entities (companies or joint ventures) have been initially selected for the concession regarding cargo terminal, 10 for the marine services and 13 entities for the multi-purpose terminal.
He explained that 33 companies have expressed interest but some companies submitted bids for more than one concession.
Cyprus launched a tender for the privatisation of commercial activities at the port in May.
Minister of Transport, Communications and Works, Marios Demetriades said that the management of the port`s commercial activities will be assigned to a private company through a concession for a period between 25 and 30 years.
Source: Famagusta Gazette
Following the Tianjin blasts during the night on August 12th, we would like to share with you the following information.
First, all CMA CGM crew members and Local employees are thankfully safe and accounted for.
Vessel Berthing and Departure are back to Normal.
All terminals and off-dock depots in Tianjin are under operations today. But berth congestion, low productivity and longer port-stay are still expected in Tianjin for the coming days.
Compared with past few days, more trucks are now running inside the port area.
All CMA CGM group vessels have been able to call Tianjin Last week except Xin Qin Huang Dao of our ASAF line, Exports containers that are ready to load will be evacuated this week on CMA CGM Georg Forster, CPO NORFOLK & HS ONORE.
This week there is no call omission from CMA CGM operated vessels for the time being.
Export and Import of dangerous Cargo containers have been completely banned by Local Authorities, but export and import of non dangerous chemicals are authorized
Cargo Update: Due to the fact that we still do not have access to all areas, an exhaustive update is not yet possible. www.hellenicshipp...
New international port opens to ships bringing tourists to Ha Long Bay
Ships bringing tourists to explore the famed Ha Long Bay in the northern Vietnamese province of Quang Ninh will now depart from a new international port capable of docking cruise ships, instead of the old, deteriorated wharf.
The Quang Ninh administration has decided to gradually move all ship operations from the old Bai Chay tourist wharf to the newly inaugurated Tuan Chau international passenger port, newswire VnExpress reported on Thursday.
Tourists will now depart from the Tuan Chau port for sight-seeing tours around the UNESCO-recognized Ha Long Bay, around 150km east of Hanoi.
The Bai Chay wharf is currently overloaded, while its infrastructure is severely deteriorated, prompting local authorities to put the new port into use.
It is expected that all tourist ships will start operating at the new international port by the end of this year, whereas the Bai Chay wharf will be officially closed before the summer of 2016, according to the local administration.
The Tuan Chau international passenger port, operated by Au Lac Quang Ninh Co. Ltd., was inaugurated on July 28 to receive domestic and international vessels offering the Quang Ninh and Ha Long Bay services.
The port, located south-southeast of Tuan Chau Island, off the province’s Ha Long City, consists of two docks, measuring 1,143 meters and 4,411 meters, respectively.
Death of 49 on boat to Italy results in arrest of captain, crew
Italian officials said Tuesday they had arrested the captain and crew of a boat in which 49 migrants suffocated last weekend after they were blocked from leaving the ship’s hold.
The eight men — who said they were from Libya, Morocco, and Syria — are accused of multiple homicide and illegal immigration, officials said at a news conference in Catania, Sicily, where the Norwegian ship that transported the 312 survivors of Saturday’s rescue remains docked.
The boat’s other passengers identified the crew members during questioning with rescuers and officials, in which they described a nightmarish crossing. https://www.bostonglobe.c...
The surprise discovery of more lock gate damage has put Bremerhaven’s giant new Kaiserschleuse lock out of action until at least the end of the year.
The 305m long and 55m wide Kaiserschleuse had been due to re-open in June after being closed since last October for repairs to its outer lift-and-slide gate. However just two weeks before the scheduled completion of those repairs, port management company Bremenports reported damage had also been discovered on the lock’s inner gate. It announced that the facility would have to remain closed until at least December while fresh repair work took place. www.maritimejourn...
Tianjin Warehouse Operator Flouted Safety Rules Before Blasts
The company at the heart of the deadly blasts that engulfed a chemical warehouse in northeast China last week sought to dodge safety restrictions, state media said Wednesday.
It also operated for months without proper licensing, something that the company’s key shareholders said was standard practice, according to the official Xinhua News Agency.
According to Xinhua, Ruihai International Logistics Co. was founded in 2012 with backing from two men who enjoyed a wealth of political connections that helped their business get off the ground. One of them, Dong Shexuan, was the son of the former head of the Tianjin port’s public security bureau. The other, Yu Xuewei, was formerly employed at Sinochem Tianjin, a company dealing in logistics and chemicals, whose former clients he drew on while at Ruihai, according to Xinhua.
All that was upended when twin blasts erupted last week, sending up huge plumes of flames and killing 114. The disaster has riveted the nation and spurred angry calls for justice. Some 10 officials associated with the company have had their movements restricted, according to state media.
In interviews Xinhua said were conducted in a Tianjin detention center, the news agency quoted Mr. Dong as saying that after Ruihai’s establishment, when seeking authorization to store dangerous goods, the company was at first refused by one safety-evaluation company, which said that the proposed distance of the company’s warehouse was too close to residential buildings. National standards dictate that large quantities of dangerous chemicals should be stored at least 1,000 meters (0.6 mile) from public buildings and infrastructure. However, Xinhua said that the warehouse was located only some 560 meters away from a nearby residential complex.
“The first company said it was too close to residential buildings and violated the regulations, so we wouldn’t pass,” Mr. Dong told Xinhua. Mr. Dong said Mr. Yu subsequently said he would find a new company to do the evaluation and not to worry. “In the end, it was dealt with,” Mr. Dong said. Mr. Yu disputed the account to Xinhua, saying that he wasn’t managing safety-evaluation proceedings and wasn’t clear on what had happened.
The company was eventually licensed to deal with dangerous chemicals on a trial basis in April 2014. Such a license had lapsed in October last year, with the company only receiving another one in June, meaning that for eight months, it was operating without the necessary approval to handle dangerous chemicals, the agency said.
Xinhua said the company that finally approved Ruihai’s security evaluation was Tianjin Zhongbin Haishen. Two people listed with Tianjin regulators as in charge at the company hung up their cellphones when contacted.
The company had previously been cited by the State Administration of Work Safety earlier this year, which said that some of its personnel lacked needed training and licenses.
Ruihai couldn’t be reached for comment. It wasn’t possible to contact Messrs. Dong and Yu. Zhu Liming, deputy head of the planning and land management bureau at Binhai New Area, the area of the blast site, couldn’t be reached. The Tianjin work-safety bureau declined to comment.
In his conversation with Xinhua, Mr. Yu suggested the officials’ casual attitude toward licensing was accounted for by the fact that other businesses operated the same way. “At the time, when the trial license expired, we didn’t apply for the extension. On the one hand, we felt the formal license could be approved quickly, on the other, other companies also haven’t gotten extensions. Some have gone more than a six months without doing so and no one cares, so we didn’t take it seriously,” he said.
The report also cast doubt on other aspects of the company’s application for its license, including its environmental-impact assessment report. While the company’s report suggested that 130 questionnaires had been issued to local residents soliciting their opinion on the proposed warehouse?with nearly all of them being returned with no objections to the project?more recently, Xinhua said, some residents said they had never seen any such questionnaire. They hadn’t been aware of the existence of a nearby chemical warehouse, it said, until the fatal blast erupted.
Source: Dow Jones