Four people have been taken to hospital after the upper deck of a car ferry collapsed.
Paramedics, police, fire crews and the coastguard were called to the incident at the Fishbourne terminal on the Isle of Wight at around 10.30pm on Friday, July 18.
In a statement, Wightlink ferries said: "As part of the usual disembarkation process, after vehicles on the lower deck had left the ship, the starboard forward mezzanine deck with nine cars on board was lowered.
"When it was a short distance from the deck below, it dropped a few feet and made contact with the lower deck.
An Isle of Wight Ambulance Service spokesman said: "Four patients required ambulance treatment for a variety of injuries, none of which are believed to be life threatening. All are conscious and breathing.
"All patients have now left the scene and are on their way to the hospital at Newport."
He added: "We are not aware of the nature of the injuries. It is very fortunate that it was only four people injured, all things considered."
Wightlink ferries said a full investigation into the incident is now under way.
"The incident has been reported to the Marine Accident Investigation Branch and Wightlink is fully co-operating with the authorities," it said.
"St Helen, in common with all Wightlink ferries, is inspected regularly by external surveyors. The last independent engineering survey of the ship, including its mezzanine decks, took place in May 2014 during her annual refit."
Commodore Clipper Damage Worse Than Expected, all sailings til July 27th cancelled
The Commodore Clipper is more badly damaged than first thought, after hitting the sea bottom earlier this week.
Condor has cancelled all sailings on the conventional ferry until 27th July. The ship is in dry dock in Falmouth for repairs after hitting the seabed on Monday en route to Guernsey. The ferry firm says damage is worse than it had hoped and has suspended further sailings until at least next weekend. It says a specialist team is working to bring the ship back into service as quickly as possible. There will be another update on Monday. Passengers are being contacted about alternative travel arrangements.
James Fulford, Chief Executive, Condor Ferries said: I’d like to apologise for the inconvenience and concern that our passengers will feel and to reassure people that we are working tirelessly to resolve this situation. We would like to thank you for your patience and to reassure you that there is sufficient capacity to accommodate you on our fast ferries to get you to your destination.
Woman Missing from Costa Victoria, presumed overboard
A female passenger has gone missing, presumed overboard, on Costa Victoria. The Taiwanese Coast Guard has said it is investigating the possibility of suicide or an accident after the 53 year old woman did not disembark in Keelung as expected. The woman’s surname is Hsieh. She was part of a tour group that left Keelung for Japan on July 12. Her belongings were left in her cabin. The China Post reports that electronic key records indicate that she last entered her cabin on Wednesday evening. When the crew went to check why she had failed to get off the ship, the door was locked. Hsieh is a Taiwanese-American who was living in an apartment in Taipei, however she terminated her lease the day before embarking on the cruise. According to cruise expert Professor Ross Klein, Hsieh is the 235th person to have gone overboard from a cruise ship since 2000.