Hamad Port welcomed its second commercial vessel on August 13, the Ministry of Transport said in a statement yesterday.
This, along with other key developments, is expected to help pave the way for the launch of “early operations” for certain types of vessels before the end of the current year, the statement noted.
The vessel carried a second shipment of cranes, including four ship-to-shore (STS) cranes and six rubber tyred gantry (RTG) cranes.
The ship’s arrival was in accordance with the planned schedule.
Hamad Port had welcomed the first commercial vessel carrying the first shipment of cranes on July 19. The ship, heavy load carrier Zhen Hua 10, had arrived directly from China.
The arrival of the third and final shipment of cranes is expected by the end of this year, which will take the total number of cranes at Hamad Port to eight STS cranes (100m high and weighing over 1,200 tonnes) and 26 RTG cranes.
“With the completion of all marine infrastructure works, the installation of container handling equipment (STS and RTG cranes) will mark the accomplishment of another milestone in the construction of Hamad Port. This means the mega port will be ready for the early operation of certain types of vessels and shipments before the end of the current year,” the statement added, saying this reflected the efforts of the project management team and all stakeholders under the supervision of the Hamad Port Steering Committee.
The port basin is 4km long, 700m wide and 17m deep.
The new Hamad Port is expected to handle more than 6mn containers a year once all three phases of the project is completed, HE the Minister of Transport Jassim Seif Ahmed al-Sulaiti had said during the arrival of the first vessel.
Al-Sulaiti, who is also chairman of the Hamad Port Steering Committee, had explained that Phase 1 was expected to be completed by the end of 2016, allowing the port to handle 2mn containers.
The European Investment Bank (EIB) has agreed to provide a €100m loan to a project that will upgrade Dublin Port.
The €230m plan is designed to increase the port's ability to handle large ships. It will deepen and lengthen 3km of its existing 7km of berths and also deepen the entrance channel.
Known as the Alexandra Basin Redevelopment Project, it is the largest single infrastructure development project in the port's long history and is expected to take five years to complete.
The EIB is owned by the European Union member states. It aims to "provide finance and expertise for sound and sustainable investment projects which contribute to furthering EU policy objectives".
It lent a total of €77bn last year, generally financing a third of projects, but it does provide 50pc in some cases.
Dublin Port Company CEO Eamonn O'Neill said last month that engineering design works for the Alexandra Basin project were at an advanced stage.
"We expect the first phase of works to be tendered and a contractor ready to start by October 2015," he said. www.independent.i...
Xinhua: Port operations return to normal after Tianjin blasts
TIANJIN, Aug. 17 (Xinhua) -- Operations at the Tianjin port in north China have returned to normal following warehouse blasts on Aug. 12 that left more than 200 dead or missing, the port authority said Monday.
Port operations and ship traffic were partially suspended following the huge explosions at a warehouse for hazardous chemicals, said an official with the Tianjin Port Group Co.
Its main shipping lanes resumed traffic the morning after the late-night blasts, while operations at the berth and warehouse areas returned to normal, with the exception of areas close to the blasts site.
At least 112 people were killed and 95 others remained missing after the blasts. The government is continuing search and rescue and cleaning hundreds of tons of toxic cyanide at the site while closely monitoring the environment.
The explosions stoked concerns about dragging down the booming growth of the Tianjin Binhai New Area, a key industrial park that made the northern city one of China's fastest growing areas.
The Tianjin port is also a gateway to northeast China, transferring roughly 40 percent of imported cars. Shipments of iron ore to the port were reportedly disrupted after the blasts. news.xinhuanet.co...
Industry Veterans Launch New Greece Based Bunker Company
A new bunker broker and trader, Premium Bunkering SA (Premium Bunkering), has begun operations in Greece, the company has told Ship & Bunker.
The company boasts a number of extremely experienced personnel, including founder and Managing Director Panayotis Bachtis who previously spent 23 years at OW Bunker, and Sales Manager Despina Perimenis, who has some 26 years experience in the industry from her time at Aegean Marine Petroleum S.A. (Aegean) and OW Bunker.
The team also includes former Aegean and OW Bunker trader Christos Katarachias, and former OW Bunker Malta Operations Executive Kostas Lazarou. shipandbunker.com...
Two shipping giants sign agreement with Haifa port
Shipping giants MSC and Maersk have signed a cooperation agreement with the Haifa port. The agreement states that, starting from October, ships of the combined fleet will dock at the port on their way from China, South Korea, and Singapour to the Adreatic sea.
The first ship, the Maersk Gustav, is the largest ship to dock in Haifa yet - 373 meters long, holding 10,000 containers. The agreement states that ships will dock in Haifa once a week.
A new service from CMA CGM will link west Africa with Europe and the UK on a weekly rotation calling at the Port of Tilbury
A new weekly freight service will now call at the Port of Tilbury as part of shipping group CMA CGM’s Euraf1 service between northern Europe and west Africa. The new service will carry banana reefer containers from west Africa to the UK, among other products. Six vessels with a capacity of 3,500 TEUs (twenty foot equivalent units) will sail the following weekly rotation: Tilbury, Dunkerque, Antwerp, Le Havre, Montoir de Bretagne, Tanger Med, Algeciras, Dakar, Abidjan, Dakar, Algeciras, Tilbury
Minor damage to Maersk facilities from blasts in China's Tianjin port
Maersk Line said on Thursday its facilities at China's northeastern port of Tianjin suffered "minor and superficial damage" after two huge explosions in an industrial area. In an emailed statement to Reuters, the firm, a unit of A.P. Moller-Maersk, said the explosion took place 5 km (3 miles) from its APM joint venture, and it was unable to pinpoint the extent of damage to its containers or their contents. It said four employees of the joint venture suffered minor cuts from broken glass. All Maersk employees in Tianjin have been accounted for, it added. No Maersk Line vessels were alongside terminals or in the anchorage when the explosions happened, it said, and port operations partly resumed this morning. Source : Reuters
Wexford counts cost after cruise ship visit cancelled
County Wexford is counting the cost after the planned visit of the German cruise ship Albatros was called off because of bad weather.
The ship, with 900 passengers on board, was due to drop anchor off Rosslare Port last Wednesday, however, with a strong south-westerly blowing and a dire weather forecast, the visit was cancelled.
'We could't have allowed it to happen, the wind was just too much,' said Rosslare Port Captain Aedan Jameson.
He said the fact that it wouldn't have been safe for the passengers to have been transferred from the ship anchored a mile offshore, underpinned the need for more investment at Rosslare Port and the need for a berth capable of handling ships with deep draughts.
'A lot of people had done a lot of work and it's very disappointing,' he said. The next cruise ship due at the port is the Braemar which is scheduled for July next year and which, because of its smaller draught, should be able to berth in the port.
A passenger ship, owned by Roble Shipping, carrying more than 500 passengers caught fire at Ormoc port in Leyte early Saturday (August 15).
The ship left Cebu at 10 p.m. Friday (August 14) and docked at Ormoc port at 4 a.m. this morning.
Capt. William Isaga, commander of the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) Eastern Visayas, said there are 544 passengers listed in the ship's manifesto.
Initial reports said that all passengers and crew members were able to come out of the ship, added Isaga.
As of this posting, no casualty was reported and no one was injured in the fire.
According to Senior Fire Officer 3 Roberto Ygoana, the fire started at the bottom of the ship where the cargo is placed.
The PCG is now monitoring the possibility of oil spill.
Isaga said the maritime casualty investigation team and the Maritime Industry Authority will investigate the incident.
Van Oord awarded the dredging contract for the Kaohsiung Intercontinental Container Center Phase II
Van Oord has been awarded the dredging contract for the Kaohsiung Intercontinental Container Center Phase II in Taiwan. The client is the Port of Kaohsiung, Taiwan International Ports Corporation (TIPC) . The contract value amounts to approximately EUR 130 million. The preparations have already started and the execution period runs until January 2018. The project involves the dredging and reclamation of 37 million m 3 of sand for the extension of Kaohsiung Port. Van Oord will deploy one of its largest trailing suction hopper dredgers.