Charleston Harbor Deepening Project Receives $49 Million in Federal Funding
The project to deepen the shipping channel leading to the South Carolina’s Port of Charleston to 52 feet will receive $49 million in federal funding next year. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) announced the $49 million for the Charleston Harbor Deepening Project will be included in its Fiscal Year 2018 Work Plan. Together with financial support from the State of South Carolina, the funding will help ensure the help the project stay on track for completion by early 2021. Construction to deepen the Charleston Harbor Entrance Channel began in February following the awarding of the first two dredging contracts, totaling $260 million, by USACE.
Charleston ports agency opens $14 million facility to handle growing cold cargo shipments
The State Ports Authority has opened a $14 million refrigerated cargo service area at its Wando Welch Terminal in Mount Pleasant to help accommodate growth in shipments of cold and frozen products through the Port of Charleston. The six-acre facility, approved in January by the SPA’s board of directors, includes a 12-lane service canopy where truckers can more easily process refrigerated cargo. The site includes storage and staging areas for diesel-powered generators and container washing areas. The SPA also added four five-story refrigerated container racks that provide 120 more electrical plugs for cold-storage containers, bringing the port’s total to 1,700 plugs. Four additional racks of the same size are under construction and scheduled for completion in January. Refrigerated cargo volumes have grown 86 percent since 2011 at the Port of Charleston, driven by its proximity to pork and poultry producers in the Carolinas.
FBI opens probe of false 'dirty bomb' threat at South Carolina port
CHARLESTON, S.C. (Reuters) - The FBI on Thursday said it was investigating a false threat that a "dirty bomb" was on a container ship at a terminal at the Port of Charleston in South Carolina. The terminal was shut on Wednesday night and reopened early Thursday morning by the U.S. Coast Guard after law enforcement officials completed a scan of the container ship Maersk Memphis, the Coast Guard said. The Federal Bureau of Investigation opened its investigation because it is a crime to make a false threat against a U.S.-flagged ship, said Donald Wood, a spokesman for the bureau in Columbia, South Carolina. The Maersk Memphis is a U.S.-flagged ship, according to the Maersk Line website. No arrests had been made as of Thursday afternoon, Wood said. http://www.nydailynews.com/newswires/news/national/fbi-opens-probe-false-dirty-bomb-threat-south-carolina-port-article-1.3249332Upload News