The workers of the company Arjona S.A. scrapped the sunken "Paradise" at Port de Andratx on March 23. Shovels crushed the boat until scarcely any remains were left. The technicians previously dismantled the ship's electrical installations. Operators installed containment barriers to prevent oil spills and leaks. The divers were able to retrieve a safe from the wreck and two jet skis that were stored in the garage. When the ship was built more than ten years ago, it cost about five million Euros. Before the storm sank it, it was valued at three million Euros.
The remains of the ship were deposited in anti-pollution containers. On March 25 an operation will start to try to rescue the two engines out of the hull.
The salvage has cost about 295,000 Euros so far.
Spanish report with video:
Two crew members who had been held hostage found adrift in boat
Two Malaysian crew members of the "Suodong 3" who had been held hostage by the Abu Sayyaf Group for eight months were found aboard a boat adrift off the southern Philippines on March 23, 2017. Tayudin Anjut, 45, and Abdurahim bin Sumas, 62, were abandoned by the Abu Sayyaf gunmen before dawn near their coastal forest hideout on the remote island of Pata. They were saved weak and in a sickly state and receiving treatment at a military hospital.
A Philippine Navy patrol boat found the pair, eight months after they were abducted along with three other crewmen of a tugboat that was boarded by gunmen near the sea border between the two countries. Their recovery followed a Philippine military operation against the kidnappers on a nearby island early in February that left eight gunmen dead.
The London registered transport m/v “Yacht Hop”, formely the Canadian trawler “Cape Chidley”, 791 gt (IMO-No.: 7418957), which had run aground in the Nettlé Bay off the Dominican island Saint Lucia in the night of March 1, 2017, is still aground 18 days after the accident. All attempts to tow it off have so far been unsuccessful. The lines broke, and the currents were not favorable. The ship is now stranded at a breakwater within the administrative zone of Galisbay-Bienvenue harbor.
The port has begun dredging operations which should allow the vessel's bow to be pulled off, the last step before a new towing attempt. When the ship broke from its anchorage in the night of March 1, only one man was on watch, the rest of the crew had gone ashore. Later divers of the gendarmerie found that the anchor chain was wound around the propeller shaft.
French report with photos:
On Friday, a Yemeni coast guard ship struck a mine near the port of Mokha (Al Mukha), and the ensuing blast killed two servicemembers and wounded eight. The injured included the vessel's master, Yemeni officials said.
Investigations continue, but the explosion appears to confirm experts' fears that Houthi rebels could be planting naval mines in the vicinity of Yemeni Red Sea ports. In response to the latest evidence of a maritime security threat, the U.S. National Geospatial Intelligence Agency broadcast a warning to mariners to exercise caution while transiting the area. The UKMTO advised that "masters should consider increasing vigilance, maintain the furthest possible distance from the Yemen coast, transit the Bab el Mandeb strait during daylight hours and use the western TSS wherever possible."
Mokha is not the only port affected. Last October, a Yemeni explosives ordinance disposal team removed a sunken vessel at the port of Al Mukalla that had been booby-trapped with explosives. The divers found and disposed of over half a ton of explosive material. Team leader Colonol Abu Saleh Al-Yafai said in a statement that the quantity of explosives was enough to cause damage to structures on shore if the vessel had been detonated. maritime-executiv...