Trawler disabled off Hirtshals
On March 1, 2018, at 1.30 a.m. the Danish lifeboat "Margrethe Gaardbo" was alerted to the "Andrea Klitbo - FN 226" which had suffered engine damage 80 miles off Sweden. The "Andrea Klitbo" was taken in tow to Hirtshals where it was safely berthed on March 2 at 3 a.m. The vessel left again on March 15 at 1.15 a.m. bound to fishing grounds in the Skagerak. Photo: https://scontent-frx5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/28472100_1655786737821867_176017676202253016_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=b0107b9e0c501b28282df5b51309d9f2&oe=5B44544B
Pumpman stable, companies banned
The Danish Labour Inspection has issued a prohibition against two companies involved in the deadly accident aboard the "Susanne H" in Strandby on Aug 4 in which two fishermen inhaled toxic hydrogen sulfide fumes. While the 59 year old Hans Jorgen Hansen and his nephew Morten Christensen died, a 24-year-old pumpman who had jumped into the hold of the trawler to rescue the two was still at the hospital but declared out of danger. While his condition was described as stable, it was still too early to assess whether he would suffer from long term effects of the accident. Both the company in charge of loading operations and the vessel owner were banned.
Two dead and one in critical condition due to toxic fumes
Two men died late on Aug 4, 2014, in an accident aboard the "Susanne H" in Strandby. A third person was unconscious after the accident and hospitalized at the Aalborg University. His life was still in danger. The two dead were Hans Jorgen Hansen and his 21-year-old nephew Morten Christensen, both from Strandby. The accident happened at 10 p.m. while sprat was unloaded from the fishing boat into a truck. A pump man discovered that the skipper and his nephew had lost consciousness down in the holds, allegedly because of toxic fumes from the fish load. The pump man - a 24 year old man from Frederikshavn -alerted the truck driver and jumped into the hold to save the two men, but he lost consciousness immediately. He was alive when he was recovered by rescue workers with Respirators and was brought to Aalborg University. In the morning of Aug 5 he was still in critical condition. Both ambulances and rescue helicopter were sent to Strandby, but failed to rescue the two fishermen. According to police, the two fishermen died because of toxic hydrogen sulphide fumes from the load of trash fish. The unloading of the ship was to be completed on Aug 5 around noon. Danish report with photo: http://nordjyske.dk/nyheder/navne-frigivet-paa-doede-fiskere/2e198b2e-bad3-42fe-90c4-ab362b1c5c27/112/1513Upload News